If you still don’t know what do cavities look like in a smile, it is time to learn to decode, identify, and treat them. But if you don’t have them, how can you avoid them? Dental caries is a condition that has even affected the self-esteem of many people today.
Carious teeth can proliferate quickly and stealthily if they are not treated in time. They can affect everyone who has teeth, regardless of age. They present some symptoms with which they can be identified, which you will learn about below.
What do cavities look like?
It’s time to dentify what do cavities look like. However, it should be clarified that carious teeth generally do not have many visible symptoms unless it is an advanced case. The cracks can look very unpleasant on a person since smiling is one of the first gestures one shows.
If there is discoloration on your teeth or some stains on them, it may be a symptom of tooth decay. Although the spots can be of different colors (brown, bright white, and black), it is usually the beginning of a cavity process. They can also be seen as holes or cracks in the tooth.
Tooth lesions can significantly affect the appearance of teeth. On the other hand, they can negatively affect a person’s self-esteem since they cause drastic changes in the formation of the teeth, which can cause insecurity. It is challenging to see a cavity with the naked eye. For this reason, we will explain what do cavities look like and some symptoms so you can identify them.
How do I know if I have cavities?
There are specific symptoms that decide whether a person suffers from this silent disease. It is essential to go to a professional since he will carry out the necessary studies for you. You can also check online. But if you present any of these symptoms, you may have dental decay.
- Tooth sensitivity. This symptom manifests as reactions of pain or discomfort to some dental stimuli. For example, cold or hot things, sweet or sour, can cause discomfort and even pain. It is a wear and tear of the tooth enamel that can increase sensitivity even when touched.
- Tooth pain. This symptom must be present when biting or out of nowhere to think of a cavity.
- Having holes in your teeth. This symptom can be seen or felt in a tooth.
- Discoloration or stains. We previously mentioned that this symptom is not very noticeable. However, it may represent cavities.
- Bad breath. This symptom is due to the residue left after eating inside the holes, which fill with bacteria.
- Inflammation in the gums. In some cases, this symptom occurs in the nearby gums.
- Tooth breakage. Cause weakness in the teeth, which can lead to a fracture.
- Transformations in the shape and appearance of each piece. Very advanced cavities tend to change the shape of the teeth and affect their look.
It is crucial to determine if any of these symptoms are attacking you to rule it out. Learn some tips for family dental care and much more on our web portal. Don’t forget how important it is to have a beautiful smile to give.
Treatments for cavities
The diverse treatments applicable for tooth lesions are used depending on how advanced they may be and what do cavities look like. However, the expert will be in charge of determining which one is convenient or appropriate for you.
An extraction will be necessary in the worst cases where the tooth is severely decayed. However, a root canal treatment must be done for an infection that reaches deep into the tooth.
If it is a low-grade dental caries, a fluoride treatment is performed to recover the tooth enamel. If the damage is more significant, the affected dental tissue must be removed and filled with a specialized material.
Now you know what do cavities look like, how to avoid them?
There are many ways to avoid dental decay. If you read what do cavities look like, you are interested in not having any of them in your teeth. Therefore, we will teach you some ways to avoid having them and some tips to help you with your problem.
Visit a specialist. He can diagnose any condition if you have it. But don’t forget to brush well at least twice a day and use mouthwash. Also, floss if necessary and try not to eat sugar-rich foods.
Did you know?
The dentist or general dentist is in charge of carrying out all procedures related to cleaning, tooth extraction, and what do cavities look like. However, other specialists work together, such as the orthodontist in charge of dental alignment.
The endodontist oversees the tooth’s pulp and performs the root canal treatment. The periodontist specializes in gum diseases. On the other hand, the maxillofacial surgeon performs surgeries. And finally, the pediatric dentist who takes care of children. Don’t wait any longer, now you know what do cavities look like, get your consultation!